Meaning

I have just read a review of a book of articles by a philosopher that I found rather stimulating. The review was stimulating, and most probably the book too. And what provoked me was the mention of two rather different models or theories of meaning and how each might bear on swirls.
Whilst what stands out in our deliberations on swirls over the years is the affective dimension, we have always tried to make sense of meaning. So we have always wondered about and considered the cognitions that have accompanied the negative feeling. What the review discussed were two quite different models of meaning. How they might impact the swirls I'm not sure.
The first model presents language as a directly ? about the world. So one might think of this as an objective view. The world or reality is objective and can be known directly through language. Might this mean then that swirls could be received cognitively as objective data about the individual who experiences them? That this is how things are.
An alternate view that is really quite different takes meaning to be constructed by an individual. So in order to understand another we need to understand how they conceive of the world. I shall call this a subjective view of meaning. How might this influence the swirl? I am not sure. If the swirl is intimately linked to my conception of the world does that make it more or less intense than the supposition that the meanings associated with it are objective in some way?

No comments:

Post a Comment