Grammar

I take it that what we are doing here is attempting a phenomenological account of a rather complex mental, psychical state. But it is not just a state experienced by an individual. It can be a much broader social process, experienced by a group. It can be then internal and external. But it is not just an it. So far for the most part I think we have treated the swirl as a noun. I imagine it and have experienced it as something spatial. Thus I write about going into it, or of it pulling me in. And when in, I am inside it. The it being some sort of spatial entity. And when not in it I am outside it. The experience of some might be of an oscillation, in it and then out of it.
Swirl can also be a verb, a gerund. So being in a swirl might involve swirling; the experience of nothing stable. Psychical vertigo.
To many this might be a characteristic of modernity, namely the experience of the loss of a stable centre, everything is up for grabs. In which case the swirl is closely allied to scepticism. If I can not be sure of anything then there is a collapse of boundaries and in which case the swirl as a malevolent power has an easy time of either creating swirling or pulling the individual in to the swirl space.

This then is an amendment to the previous post. The alternative to the subjective position, the world is my creation is the breakdown of the objective outlook. The world is not my creation but whatever it is is uncertain, and changeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment