Notes for a an approach to a storyline about
the swirl:
1 Progression - life is jogging along, then
one day or more likely one night an uneasy feeling creeps into awareness, like
a mild anxiety with perhaps some irritability or restlessness.
Undirected movement may follow," I can't sit or lie still because
something inside me is agitating my body and my mind, like a washing machine is
churning in my gut."
2
Actions. Reaching for analgesics or valium or zoloft or a sleeping pill. Or
some distraction - TV, DVD, video game, ipod, email. Maybe a spouse or a friend
for some comfort, or anything which
might allay the agitation and rising panic and offer possible escape or relief.
3 Alternative. Staying with the anxiety and
agitation, being able to be curious about what is happening, being aware it's
happened before, and is not life threatening, observing the shape and form of
it, the 'coordinates', doing deep and measured breathing, trying to slow the
pulse, meditation (if it's possible), maybe slow walking, slow sipping water.
4 Onset of swirl. Aware of feeling isolated, because it's an
unshared experience, something abnormal, that marks one off as not normal, and
when it gets worse, " I had to call the doctor ", " I thought
I'd have to get to a hospital.", " I had wild thoughts that I was
dying. " ,
" My body can't cope with this mind chaos, these brain fireworks." ,
" It's like being in a closed space, claustrophobic, how do I get out when
I feel swept up in a swirling
vortex, a maelstrom, a grand opera of the soul, with catastrophe imminent?
"
" Someone inside is intent on soul
murder; who is it? Can I talk to him? Will he answer? Is there anyone there? No,
it's just me and my fear, we're bad company. But what is the fear? It's not
rational, I can't explain it
but it's all mine, it gets going inside me. Is my chemistry out of balance? Are they 'bad
thoughts because I feel guilty, ashamed, remorse, regret? It's
funneling, whirling, gaining momentum and force, like a tornado, a circular
swirl with an empty centre.
Is that centre lifeless,
something annihilated? Is that the fear, the
panic, the high anxiety? "
5 Ways out. Perhaps writing a description will calm the
anxiety.
Stern says feelings are emotions with words attached. Putting words on paper
may reveal the emotions behind the feelings. In a panic we forget what it's like
to be free of anxiety, like we forget wellness when in illness. But by not
drugging or distracting this swirl experience one can encounter strong and real
emotion while in an existential mood state, a sense of the fragility along with
the energy in the swirl.
The forces of eros and thanatos have joined in
battle and the war zone is the inside of one's head. Fit to burst perhaps, but
still alive.
My sense is that immersion in the swirl takes
place suddenly, it just happens. This hides the strange comfort to be gained in
the swirl.
Ken Hey
Ken Hey
No comments:
Post a Comment