Henry writes:
"Circumspection. Heidegger coined this term for the process of perceiving things in their relationship to other things, and I shall use the term in the same way. A person who is able to perceive what he does in relation to how it affects others, who sees his time schedule in relation to the time schedules of others, is capable of circumspection; and a person lacks it who does things as if other people didn't exist or who always gets mixed up in time. Later I extend the term "circumspection" to cover the capacity to see any relationships at all. "
So this term covers space and time, in relation to the almost unreflective, unselfconscious, matter of fact mode of finding one's way in the world. It is about tacit knowledge, everyday knowledge that is of course taken for granted.
The swirl experience takes place when circumspection breaks down. Thus in that state the normal, everyday signposts that are indicative of temporal and spatial boundaries are quite simply absent. Now all of this as Henry suggests can be thought of as a disruption of a perceptual system. But I think one can extend the concept of circumspection to a cognitive breakdown as well.
So inside the swirl judgement breaks down. There is no internal argument. Thus the cognition that 'I am bad' or 'I am no good' are taken in as the truth. Whatever is cognized within the swirl is heard and felt as fact. The assumption here is that when circumspection fails or breaks down then the negative voice, in this case, is all powerful. It has the aspect of a monological dictator.
No comments:
Post a Comment