This is a very tricky area, as boundaries always seem extremely difficult to define. And I feel the need here to proceed very slowly. Falteringly.
A swirl has an inside and an outside. So, what distinguishes one from the other has to be a boundary. The individual knows when they have succumbed to the swirl, which is another way of saying that they know when they have moved from the outside to the inside. I have experienced the swirl so I shall not write about this impersonally. I know when I am inside. But the move from outside to inside as I have written before seems instantaneous. As such I have no awareness of crossing a border or boundary. All of a sudden I am there, inside, where I manifestly do not want to be. I know that even though that is not how I might think of it at the time. And that for the simple reason that thinking is highly compromised in this space. Once inside, I think the move out is much the same. It happens and then I find myself on the outside. The boundary has been crossed again. But this boundary is not of course a physical one. It is not an external one. So what is it? My first thought is that something inside weakens. Inside where? Well one thing that weakens. so to speak, is a cognitive process; the process that might challenge and correct faulty or misleading thoughts. And the thoughts are not any thoughts but, I think, thoughts that fall under the general heading of self-attributions. And therefore one way of thinking about the swirl experience is that for the time within, the negative self attributions have no witness for the prosecution. When I have been in a swirl I am unable to oppose the swirl charges.
No comments:
Post a Comment