Anomie and other phenomena


Anomie  -  Social instability resulting from a breakdown of standards and values. Personal unrest, alienation, and uncertainty that come from a lack of purpose or ideals. Mirriam Webster

"Anomie, translated from French means normlessness, when things happen in society, change occurs so fast we do not know what the norms are. Do we go back to the old norms? Create new ones? What happened to the current norms, why do they no longer apply?" Sally Rascoff, sociologist

There may be connections between anomie, depression, cognitive dissonance and the Swirl

"in the midst of a depressive episode - when the anguish is as meaningless as it is painful - suicide has a terrible logic."
" I was surprised by my own paralysis. It was embarrassing and unprecedented.  Worse, it was frightening. I couldn't concentrate. My lucidity diminished. I wondered if I was going mad.
(I had) a sense of futility about articulating the anguish. I was profoundly exhausted.....the alien form of the pain struck me as indescribable........the most perverse aspect of depression is its theft of motivation."    Martin McKenzie Murray

"Sometimes a wave of climate grief breaks over me. It happens unexpectedly, perhaps during a book talk, or while on the phone with a congressional representative. In a millisecond, without warning, I’ll feel my throat clench, my eyes sting, and my stomach drop as though the Earth below me is falling away."
Peter Kalmus Climate Scientist

" we westerners are living in a society that is still deeply entrenched in the very practices we now know are damaging and destructive. This creates a very specific kind of situation—what psychologists call cognitive dissonance. Unless we know how to work with this dissonance, we will continue to come up against resistance, inaction, and reactivity.”   Renee Lertzman Psychologist



No comments:

Post a Comment